If you suffer from an inability to freely move around from place to place, because of the amount of pain or discomfort you experience as a result of age or injury, and would like to experience the outdoors, invest in a mobility scooter for outdoors use.
If freedom to explore the outdoors has become limited due to age or injury, a mobility scooter for outdoors activities might be right for you! Specifically designed with outdoor use in mind, these powerful scooters have big wheels for reliable transportation and a powerful engine to keep you rolling no matter what. And don't forget about the suspension which will give you smooth rides even over rough and uneven terrain.
However, shopping for a mobility scooter can be intimidating; after all, finding the right one is key to getting where you need to go. If you need a mobility scooter that can handle challenging terrain, then it is important to make sure your model has all of the right features in place.
Although mobility scooters are packed with all the right features to comfortably move you from place to place, it is an added advantage if it has the type of features that are suitable for outdoor activities. As such, things like a bigger motor to spin bigger wheels, a battery with a longer battery life to take you far, and higher suspension for gliding over uneven paths and unpaved roads with ease are essential.
Although the market is saturated with all types of brands and models of mobility scooters, not all models are suitable for outdoor usage. Many are perfect for using in shopping centres and on parking lots, places that do not require a lot of exertion, but they might not be perfect for challenging environments.
Fortunately, we've done the legwork and put together our list of 9 best outdoor mobility scooters – perfect options for any terrain! From difficult parking lots and sidewalks to challenging environments that require more than basic capabilities from your ride (like a forested area or off road travel), these models will have you traversing whatever comes your way with ease.
If a smoother ride and more distance are what you need for taking in nature's beauty and all that life has to offer - look no further than an outdoor-ready mobility scooter with bigger wheels, extended battery capacity and higher suspension.
With our carefully curated selection, you're guaranteed to find one just right for every situation. Let’s explore beyond our boundaries together!
Types of Mobility Scooters
Let’s quickly take a look at the different types of mobility scooters there are, in order to best understand how the outdoor mobility scooter fits in to complete the picture.
These types of mobility scooters are used primarily for sporting activities, especially for those types of activities that are competitive in nature. They are well-known for the different accessories and features that they have.
If you like to travel or move around a lot then this type of mobility scooter would be perfect for you. It normally comes as a foldable and compact device, in order for effortless transportation to and from different locations.
This mobility scooter is made primarily for indoor use. One of its main features is that it is manoeuvrable around corners and turns indoors, making it very reliable. It comes manufactured in a smaller size than other types of mobility scooters.
These types are used outside. They are normally much bigger and bulkier which helps them maintain a higher level of stability. Especially since the terrains where they are driven on can be quite challenging.
Off-road mobility scooters are handy in areas where there are poor roads or where roads are not smooth and even. They are much tougher in construction, suitable for rough roads. You might also find that these types of scooters are more difficult to operate.
Which Is the Best Mobility Scooter for Outdoors?
This BuzzAround Extreme mobility scooter is a product of one of the leading brands of mobility scooter manufacturers and is considered to be one of the best outdoor scooters, due to its impressive quality of build and its long-lasting battery life. Its battery life offers you a handsome 18-mile drive and all of that due to its two U1 batteries.
The BuzzAround Extreme from Golden Technologies offers a very comfortable ride largely because of its front and rear spring suspension system, with the ability to support a weight of up to 330 pounds. Add to it the fact that it is portable, and you have the perfect outdoor mobility scooter.
When you're cruising around all day, you want to make sure you're comfortable, right? Lucky for you, the geniuses at Golden have got you covered. This beauty boasts an 18" wide padded seat that is so comfortable you'll forget you're sitting for hours. The cherry on top? The seat back folds down for ultimate relaxation, and the armrests are adjustable to fit your body perfectly. Plus, the seat even swivels for easy in and out access.
One of the reasons that this mobility scooter receives such high praise, is because it can come apart in under 5 minutes for easier transportation. It offers a stable ride on its 9-inch all terrain wheels. With a maximum speed of 5 mph, it is much faster than many of the competitor brands by about 20%.
- Easy to transport because it comes apart into 6 manageable pieces
- Can support up to 350 lbs
- 18 mile range on a single charge
- Full suspension system ensures you won’t have a bumpy ride
- Comfortable 18” width padded seat
- Comes with a limited lifetime warranty on the frame, 2 years on the electronic controller and drive train components, and a 1-year warranty on the battery
- Not designed for driving on rugged terrain
- No headrest
- Limited storage space (basket only)
The Afikim Afiscooter S4 is one of a few high-end luxury mobility scooters that are great for the outdoors. This scooter offers the rider a 28-mile driving range on a 70 AMP battery. It travels at a speed of 7.4 mph and has a weight capacity of 450 lbs. It comes with a big enough motor to support that weight capacity.
One feature that makes the Afikim Afiscooter stand out from the rest is its additional accessories. It has a front windshield and canopy, shielding you from bad weather. You can also opt for the plexiglass canopy, though more expensive, which will allow you to clearly see the clouds on a beautiful day.
Do you hate digging through your backpack or purse just to find your phone? Well, check out this awesome mobility scooter! It has a handy-dandy front compartment that's just perfect for storing your phone, keys, and glasses. Plus, the locking rear storage system ensures that your bigger items stay safe and protected from the elements. No more rummaging around for your essentials - they'll always be within reach!
Apart from its impressive looks, it also comes equipped with an LCD control screen, an electronic controller, LED headlights and with the adjustable tiller, you can experience a comfortable ride. Other features are an orthopedic seat and full suspension on all 4 wheels. This device is perfect for outdoor activities, especially if you live or travel around mountainous areas.
- Overhead canopy to protect you from rain, snow and heavy sunshine
- Two seats so you can bring a friend or family member along for the ride
- Great storage options on the back, including a rear locked storage system
- Wide seat, headrest and armrests for maximum comfort
- 28 mile range and a high speed of 9.3 mph
- Golf course tires available
- Harder to store in a small car
- Needs a dedicated storage space when not in use
- Not designed for rugged terrain (although great on grass)
Make a bold statement and revolutionize the way you experience mobility with Pride Mobility's Baja Raptor 2 3-Wheel Scooter. This revolutionary scooter combines speed, safety features, and an edgy design to provide users with unprecedented control over their freedom of movement - no longer just restricted by whatever "classic" model is available on the market! Enjoy confidence in your ride thanks to enhanced stability paired with their sleek motorcycle style which makes this unit truly stand out from the rest.
Get to where you need to go in record time on the Baja Raptor 2! This dependable 3-wheel unit offers a top speed of 14 miles per hour and an exceptional battery range - from 19 to 31 miles depending upon load. Say goodbye to worrying if your battery will last long enough, as this amazing device helps get you there quickly while having more than enough power for extra distance!
Are you thinking about getting a recreational scooter, but concerned about where to store all your stuff? Fear not, my friend! This incredible scooter comes with a super handy storage compartment under the seat. And the cherry on top? It's completely lockable, so you can ride around without a care in the world about anyone taking your valuables. Talk about a win-win situation!
- Up to 31 miles range
- Digital dash and full lighting package to keep you safe at night
- Electromagnetic braking system to ensure safe stops
- Secure storage compartment under the seat
- Best in class warranty
- No basket or easy access storage while driving
- Limited recline of seat
- No overhead canopy option
Don’t let the luxurious looks of the E-Wheels EW-72 mobility scooter fool you. Underneath all the classy exterior is a high-powered motor capable of taking on the outdoors. This scooter has 4 wheels and can be used on all manner of terrains, both inside and outside.
The 700 watt motor under the hood can get you up to a speed of 15 miles per hour. The battery life will last you for 43 miles on one single charge. The powerful drum brakes on each wheel allow for superior stopping and steering power.
Picture this: you're cruising around on your scooter when suddenly, you need to make a quick stop. With this scooter's equipped drum brakes in both the front and rear wheels, you'll have excellent stopping power and control at all times. It's like having a personal bodyguard for your ride. Plus, the balanced braking system means you can slow down and maneuver around corners or obstacles with ease, making it safer to ride in busy areas. Don't settle for just any scooter - choose one with powerful brakes that make you feel safe and in control.
Apart from luxury, the EW-72 mobility scooter also caters to comfort. The captain ‘s chair is soft to the touch and comes complete with armrests, a bottom and a head rest. It has an anti-roll unit on the front and back which is perfect for preventing accidents.
- Enhanced off road capabilities due to its 56in x 27in wide dimensions
- An impressive 15 miles per hour
- Drum brakes on the rear and front wheels to give you maximum control and excellent stopping power
- A soft captain’s chair and fully cushioned backrest, bottom and arm rests
- A unique and stylish look that’s bound to catch the eyes of passers by
- Big storage area under the seat plus a basket with a lid on top
- Due to its size, it's not designed for driving in crowded indoor areas easily
- Won’t fit easily into a car
- Doesn’t fold for easy storage in a small apartment
The Afikim Afiscooter is a 3-wheel bariatric scooter with a very classy look. It has a weight capacity of 500 lbs and provides a steady and stable ride on the outdoors. Not just does it have a high weight capacity, but it has a driving range of 28 miles on one single charge.
The Afikim Afiscooter has an electronic command system that makes it simple to operate and orthopedic seating for a comfortable ride. The seats come standard at a width of 18” but can be upgraded to a 33” dual width. The battery indicator will let you know when it is time to charge up again. With its black and chrome look it has less of a medical look.
Check out these sweet mobility scooter handlebars! They're totally adjustable to fit your height and personal driving style. Plus, they're designed to work independently of each other for the ultimate customization. Drive in comfort with this incredible feature!
To change direction the Afiscooter comes equipped with a fingertip speed control. Letting go of the speed control will bring the scooter to a stop. For added security, the parking brake can be used especially on steep inclines.
- An astonishing 28 miles on a single charge
- The strong steel chassis can hold up to 500 pounds
- A less medical look and more a motorcycle type of look and feel
- Forward and reverse finger tip speed control allowing the user to change directions with ease
- Can be upgraded to the 33" dual wide seat allowing for an additional passenger
- No swivel chair, making it harder for some people to get in
- No option for canopy
- 3 wheels, making it slightly less balanced than a 4 wheel scooter
Get ready to conquer the trails with Pride Mobility's newest outdoor powerhouse - The Baja Wrangler 2 Heavy Duty Mobility Scooter! Prepare for a whole new level of adventure and performance, as this all-terrain scooter delivers an unrivaled blend of power and features designed specifically to handle whatever nature throws your way. Get ready for more possibilities than ever before!
Ready for an adventure? Then look no further than the Baja Wrangler 2! With an impressive weight capacity of 450 lbs and speed up to 11.4 mph, this heavy-duty powerhouse will make sure you don’t miss out when it comes to errands and traveling off the concrete pathways. And with 20.2 miles range per charge, be prepared for your own journey – wherever it may lead!
At 61.25" long and 32.5" wide, this scooter is a beast - and with a weight of 370 pounds, you know it's built to last. Best of all, this scooter boasts an impressive 5.5" ground clearance, giving it unparalleled stability and performance in even the roughest outdoor terrain. Get ready to explore the great outdoors like never before with the Baja Wrangler 2!
- Offers a 450 lbs. weight capacity
- Can last up to 20.2 miles on a single charge
- Offers an impressive top speed of up to 11.4 miles per hour
- Has a digital dashboard interface that is sleek and simple to use
- Comes with an 18.5" wide super comfortable captain's chair with armrests that are removable and flip up for easy entry or exiting of the unit
- No overhead canopy option
- Limited storage space compared to other models
- No designed for tight indoor spaces
The E-Wheels EW-66 is ideal for moving around with a companion. Apart from that it is also very stylish and attractive to the eye. The fact that it can accommodate more than one person really sets it apart as most other models can only accommodate one person.
As it can transport two people and is able to take a weight capacity of 600lbs, it comes equipped with a very powerful 700W motor. Not only is that an impressive feature but it can also drive at a maximum speed of 15mph on a 43-mile single charge battery. Should you want to slow down to a slower pace, you can do so with its variable speed control.
It also comes equipped with tubeless tires, and bright lights for dark moments and areas. One extra safety feature is its electromagnetic brakes. These are helpful when coming to a stop, as they allow the scooter to come to a stop smoothly instead of abruptly.
Are you someone who needs a lot of space for storage? EWheels has got you covered! Their electric scooter comes equipped with a large covered storage basket at the back of the passenger seat and an even bigger storage compartment underneath it. Just unlatch the hook and pop it open to access all that space! You can use these compartments to store your groceries or any other items that you need to carry.
Additionally, you'll receive a free gift in the form of a zipper pouch that you can use to store your wallet or other small items. With this EWheels EW-66 2 Passenger scooter, you'll have all the storage space you need!
- This 2 seating mobility scooter is rugged and tough
- With a 600 lbs weight capacity, this unit can easily support two passengers
- Offers an impressive 43 mile battery range which is unheard of in the mobility industry
- Capable of reaching speeds of up to 15 mph while controlling your speed with a dial for those who want to go slower
- Comes with a remote key fob and a built-in anti-theft alarm system
- There is a large covered storage basket on the back the rear passenger seat, plus there is a large storage compartment under that back seat as well
- Smaller seats than other models
- No overhead canopy option
- 3 wheels, making it slightly less balanced than a 4 wheel scooter
The Enduro XL4+ by Shoprider is another heavy-duty mobility scooter that has superb outdoor features. This bariatric scooter supports as much as 500 lbs of weight and can last for a distance of 25 miles on a single charge at a whopping speed of 5 mph.
For comfort while riding, this sweet ride has got a 20" wide seat that comes with adjustable armrests. The armrests can flip up and outwards for more seating space, which is pretty handy. It also has an adjustable headrest and a seat that swivels and slides back and forth to make getting in and out super easy. Cool, huh? Why settle for discomfort when you can have all this?
Apart from a 4” high ground clearance the Enduro XL4 mobility scooter also features full suspension for a smooth ride on many uneven terrains as well as a lighting package. It has a delta tiller that can be adjusted, which contains all of the controls for the lighting system, the turn signals, the horn and the wigwag.
For added safety the Enduro XL4+ is equipped with an emergency hand brake. You cannot go wrong with this mobility scooter.
- A beast of a machine and can support up to 500 lbs of weight
- Designed with an ultra padded captain's seat and adjustable armrests
- No problem navigating all kinds of terrain including grass, gravel, and dirt roads
- Offers a battery range of up to 25 miles on a single charge
- Comes with an emergency hand brake as a safety precaution
- No easy to transport in a small car
- Needs a dedicated storage area when not in use
- Limited storage and no locked storage compartment
The Pride Go-Go Sport by Pride Mobility is an excellent outdoor activity mobility scooter with 3” ground clearance and big tires. It also has additional room for your legs and thus allows you to sit comfortably enough while riding. Its weight capacity clocks 325 lbs and with its big tires you can roam around outdoors on and off road as much as you want.
This Go-Go Sport mobility scooter comes equipped with an 18 AH battery for a 14.5-mile drive range at a speed of 4.75 mph. You can disassemble the unit into 5 easily transportable pieces, with the heaviest piece being 44lbs. This unit is sturdy and stable enough for outdoor use, and the flat free tires allow for easier traction and safety.
If you struggle with limited hand mobility or arthritis, the Delta Tiller is the perfect solution. Plus, it's 2.75 inches longer than the Go Go Elite Plus, providing extra foot space for taller individuals.
The Delta Tiller upgrade on this mobility scooter now lets you steer and control it with either hand! Plus, you can easily accelerate by pulling the throttle with your fingers instead of awkwardly using your thumb like on other scooters.
This unit has many additional features such as an ultra bright LED headlight. Say goodbye to driving frustration and hello to comfort and convenience! Investing in a Pride Mobility product means you're choosing one of the top mobility scooters available today.
- Easy access charging port located by the control panel
- Additional leg room for taller riders
- Upgraded Delta Tiller allows the rider to operate the unit forward or reverse with either hand
- Deck basket for additional storage plus standard front basket
- Feather-touch disassembly easily disassembles into 5 lightweight pieces for transport and storage
- Not designed for larger individuals
- No option for canopy
- Not suited for rough terrain
So, there you have our review and recommendation of the top 9 best mobility scooters for the outdoors. With this list we have included outdoor mobility scooters for every budget and diverse types of needs. The decision now rests solely on you to pick the best one that is suitable for your needs.
Please feel free to ask if you have any questions or if you feel we should have another chair added to this list. See our product pages for details and should you have any questions feel free to give us a call at 800-682-9444. One of our agents will be happy to assist you. We are open every day from 8AM - 8PM EST.
If you’re interested in looking for a fast mobility scooter, be sure to take a look at a list of the Top Fastest Mobility Scooters of 2023.
Feel free to write me anytime at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or comments. At Electric Wheelchairs USA, we truly love helping our customers make the best choice for their needs whether it is a power chair, mobility scooter, or lift chair.