When looking to purchase a new mobility scooter, one of the most common questions asked is how long mobility scooter batteries last. The quality of the answer we get may depend on whether we choose to buy one online or one from a physical store.
The answer is also not as straightforward as we may like it to be. There are a number of things that determine how long a mobility scooter battery might last. In this article, we will discuss the most important factors to look out for when choosing to buy a battery for your mobility scooter and also show you how best to maximize the lifespan of the battery.
These are the most important things to consider when visiting a mobility scooter store:
Mobility scooter batteries typically come in different forms. These are lithium batteries, GEL batteries and AGM (Absorbent Glass Mat) batteries, of which the latter two are a form of sealed lead acid or SLA battery. It’s impossible to pick any one as the best option as each has its own strengths and weaknesses. Manufacturing companies decide which battery type to use for the model that has been produced and will assign batteries based on what is required.
All mobility scooter batteries are 12 volts, but there are still obvious differences between Lithium, GEL and AGM batteries.
- Lithium – Recommended for regular users. Because lithium batteries are not affected by depth of discharge, they have a longer life cycle. They are more expensive because of the materials used to manufacture them.
- GEL – Recommended for regular users. Generates more cycles and can generally last longer. Although the gel battery is more expensive, it is considered to be the ultimate mobile scooter battery because of its performance.
- AGM – Recommended for infrequent users. Generates fewer cycles and so do not last as long as gel batteries. Although they are cheaper, they also have great performance.
Mobility scooter batteries are fitted in pairs, so when charging your scooter, you’re charging a complete pair.
When it comes to how long an electronic device should be charged, there are a number of opinions on what best to do. When it comes to charging your mobile scooter batteries, this is not any different.
Here’s what we recommend:
- Charge overnight and right after use.
- Charge at least once per month when not in regular use.
- Never run the batteries flat. When batteries are fully discharged, it reduces its lifespan and performance.
- When using original and dedicated chargers to recharge your batteries, you can leave them connected without causing damage or fear of overcharging.
Checking the Storage
Storing your scooter batteries properly is one of the most effective ways to maximize its lifespan and enjoy its performance. Finding the right place to store your mobility scooter batteries after charging will guarantee an enjoyable use of it.
Your mobility scooter should be stored in a cool and dry place and left fully charged when not in use. Exposure to extreme temperatures can delay recharge and reduce output, longevity, and effectiveness.
Mobile scooter batteries often come with a 12-month warranty but should typically last up to 18 months depending on usage. When used lightly, such as once or twice a week, the battery can last up to three years. When used heavily, such as on long journeys daily, the battery could last between 12 and 18 months.
Depending on the size and type of battery, a mobility scooter can travel from 25 to 45 kilometres per charge, provided it is charged and stored properly. Nonetheless, each scooter is unique, and you may have to check with the manufacturer to see the full specifications of your purchase.
The range of your mobility scooter batteries depends on the following:
- The way you drive – Regular bursts of acceleration will drain batteries faster.
- Size and weight of load – Heavy weight on the scooter will reduce the performance of its battery.
- Terrain – Rough terrains increase the amount of friction your scooter has to navigate through and wears the batteries faster.
It’s helpful when you test the limits of your batteries yourself by using them for a period of time and getting accustomed to its full functionalities. Thus, we recommend that you do so.
Before you walk into a scooter store or add another scooter battery to your online cart, we hope you review this comprehensive checklist we’ve prepared so you can enjoy your purchase.
We hope you liked our article on how long mobility scooter batteries last, and that it was helpful. Please let us know if you have any questions or if you would like to see more of these types of articles to our site.
We also have a special offer for you. Enter coupon code EW6 at checkout and it will apply a 6% discount. This offer won't be around long, so act soon! See product pages for details and if you have any questions feel free to give us a call at 800-682-9444. One of our agents will be happy to assist you. We are open every day from 8AM - 8PM est!
If you are more interested and looking for other related articles, our staff compiled a great list of articles like The Harmar Wheelchair Lift System and our Top 5 Mobility Scooter Issues And How To Fix Them and have had some great feedback on those articles as well.
Feel free to write me anytime at email@example.com if you have any questions or comments. At Electric Wheelchairs USA, we truly love helping our customers make the best choice for their needs whether it is a power chair, mobility scooter, or lift chair.